The main objective of the assignment is to support the Government of Kerala’s Water Resources Department (WRD) and the Committee in developing Water supply and Sanitation Policy and associated reforms.
- Service delivery models – Review the inventory of water supply schemes in Kerala (based on information to be provided by KWA and KRWSA), including who is the service provider, the type of service delivery model, what urban / rural settlements are covered, numbers of connections, percent coverage / uncovered, and other scheme specific data.
- Sector Institutional roles and responsibilities – Propose models for improved accountability such as service level agreements/ MoUs for sector institutions for service delivery at the defined service levels, e.g., between KWA and a ULB, or between bulk water supply and distribution, etc. (Examples should be provided where these are available, and the key provisions should be clearly stated).
- Identify the main capacity building needs and options for providing professional support, technical assistance and / or training, and timelines required to implement the Institutional Development program.
- Propose strengthening the emerging institutional models for integrating water and sanitation services building on national and state level program. In particular, how to deal with increasing levels of wastewater under a program of increasing piped water supply to household connections, and the functions of environmental regulation (including the enforcement of environmental discharge standards).
- Review the state–wide program for water quality and consider institutional improvements to ensure coverage of all urban and rural areas; suggest an appropriate institutional home.
- Outline data flow mechanisms from various institutions for better sector monitoring